How To Set Goals and Achieve Anything
For anyone to succeed and attain full potential, they must know how to set goals to achieve anything. In order to achieve anything, you need to have a goal in mind and work towards it. But what if you don’t know where to start? Or what if your goals are too big and seem impossible to achieve?
That’s where this blog post comes in handy. I’ve shared everything you need to know that will help you set winning goals and achieve anything you want! Let’s get started.
You might probably be thinking of how to set goals and achieve anything but the first step is to start with the end goal in mind. Start thinking and dreaming about where you want to be. Now ask yourself “what do I want to achieve?” Once you have that answer, ask yourself “what steps I need to take in order to achieve that goal?” From here you’ll start to paint a picture and this what you need to then focus on.
Let’s say your goal is to be a business owner, for example. You’d need to start by thinking about what you’re passionate about? What skills do you have that you can offer a business? What tools do you need to get there?
Ask yourself as many questions as possible and answer them to start bringing your dreams to life and really visualise the journey.
Once you have an idea and some specifics in mind, the next step would be to create a business plan. This is where you will map out your goals and how you are going to achieve them. A great way of getting started is for you to work backwards and figure out what steps you need to take to get there.
Reverse Engineer That Shit!
Gary Vee – you’ve probably heard of him, right? He’s a hugely successful entrepreneur and is a BIG advocate for reverse engineering goals. He’s super passionate about this and always teaches that you should start with the end goal in mind. This allows you to work out what steps are needed, then break down big goals into smaller micro goals that are easier to achieve.
Let’s revisit the example of starting your own business. The first step would be to figure out what kind of business you want to start. Once you have that figured out, you can start thinking about things like the name of your business, what services or products you will offer, and where you will get funding etc. Give all of these tasks a realistic completion date too.
Let’s take another example. If your goal is to make £100,000 in a year, you need to first figure out how much money you need to make each month. To begin with, it sounds huge or unachievable but once you break it down to figure out how much money you need to make each week, and then each day, the goal is suddenly far more achievable and within reach. All you need to focus on is hitting that daily goal and the rest will fall into place.
Another important step is to make your goals specific. This means that you need to know exactly what you want to achieve and when you want to achieve it. Vague goals are not going to help you achieve anything. They’ll encourage procrastination and devalue your worth.
One important thing to remember when setting goals is to make them SMART: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound. I’ve broke each one down for you below.
– Specific: Your goals should be specific and not vague. For example, “I want to start a business” is not specific but “I want to start an online business selling downloadable products on Etsy” is.
– Measurable: You should be able to measure your progress towards your goal to help you stay on track and motivated. For example, saying “I want quit my 9-5 through dropshipping” isn’t measurable. However, saying “I will scale my dropshipping store by conducting 4 hours of product research each week and attend all live webinars in order to match and surpass my income to quit my 9-5 by Christmas” is measurable.
– Achievable: Your goal should be something that you can actually achieve. For example, if you say “I want to be a Bitcoin millionaire next year” but you have no money to buy Bitcoin right now, then this is unachievable. By being more realistic of your situation and saying, “I’m going to learn about Bitcoin, dollar cost averaging and the power of compound interest to make money in the next 5 years”, this is more achievable.
– Relevant: Your goal should be relevant to your life and what you want to achieve. Don’t set goals for the sake of setting goals. For example, don’t set a goal to lose 10lbs just because it’s 1st January and everyone around you is setting weight loss goals.
– Time-bound: Your goal should have a deadline so you can stay on track. For example, “I want to start my own business by September” is time-bound.
Find Your Why
Before you can make any change or achieve any goals, you need to find your why. This is the reason behind why you want to achieve your goal. For example, if your goal is to lose weight, don’t just lose weight for the sake of losing weight or because summer is coming. Hell no!
Search for your why, find that purpose. In this case, your why might be because you want to be healthier or because you want to achieve optimum physical strength. Once you have found your why, it gives your goal a purpose which makes it easier to stick to them and achieve them. Once there is passion behind your goals, they won’t feel like a chore and you’ll enjoy the process, which in turn makes success inevitable.
Open Your Mind
Having an open, growth mindset is important when it comes to achieving goals. This means that you have the self belief that you can improve with time and effort. People with an open mindset are more likely to achieve their goals because they are not afraid of failure. They know that failure is part of the journey and that it’s necessary in order to learn and grow.
On the other hand, people with a fixed mindset believe that their intelligence, skills and abilities are set in stone. They don’t believe that they can improve with time and effort. This kind of thinking will hold you back from achieving your goals because you will be afraid to fail.
5 Steps to Develop a Growth Mindset
It’s easy to grow your mindset. You don’t have to do an awful lot to get started either because curiosity is enough to get you going. We recently shared some awesome tips develop a growth mindset on our Instagram.
- Replace “I can’t” with “I can” – your subconscious is listening and powering you from within.
- Try new things – being curious will open up a world of new opportunities that will pay off in abundance in the long run.
- Start asking yourself “what would I do differently next time?” – reflect on situations and take lessons from everything to grow into your potential.
- Accept failure – as humans, we’re destined to fail sometimes. See failure as an opportunity to learn and another way in which we grow.
- The power of yet – you might not be good at playing the piano right now, but with practice you will be. So, you’re not good at the piano, yet. See the difference? It’s powerful, it immediately feels different and positive.
One of the most important things when it comes to achieving your goals is accountability. This means being accountable for your actions and taking responsibility for your results. Having an accountability partner or even being part of a community that will encourage you, keep you motivated, celebrate your wins and support you.
This means that you need to have someone who will hold you accountable to your goals. This could be a friend, family member, or even a coach. Having someone to keep you accountable will help you stay on track and achieve your goals. Without accountability, it’s easy to give up on your goals or make excuses for why you didn’t achieve them.
Power of Community
At The Lifestyle Lab, we have a highly successful community of members due to the focus we put onto self-development, mindset and goal setting. We prioritise this over everything else, encouraging all members to ensure that they have the correct tools and mindset hacks needed, then using our community to keep themselves motivated and accountable. Coupled with positivity, we’ve found a winning formula for success!
If you’d like to join our amazing community and get access to a wealth of content, from crypto basics to human optimisation, join us for free by clicking here. We’re giving everyone full access to everything, for free, for 7 days!
You’re A Super Human!
I hope this blog post was helpful in teaching you how to set goals and achieve anything you want! Just remember to start with the end goal in mind, make your goals specific, and be accountable. Find your why and have a growth mindset, and you’ll be well on your way to success.
To find out more about setting your goals and achieving anything, download out free playbook here.
“SETTING GOALS IS THE FIRST STEP TO TURNING THE INVISIBLE TO THE VISIBLE” – Tony Robbins
Cover photo courtesy of member Luke Danaher, in the beautiful St Andrews Sands, Scotland.